Zooty Owl's Crafty Blog

Colourful Crochet, Craft, Cooking, and Contemplations

Friday 28 March 2014

Granny Square Hippie Jacket

A few days ago a small heap of granny squares had once again accumulated - leftover squares from other finished projects, colour tryouts or shelved projects
 
granny square jacket

A small heap of yarn left over from other projects had also accumulated.   This quickly became more granny squares.


granny square jacket

I spotted a gorgeous granny square coat while blog hopping and became a bit obsessed with the idea of making myself one.    Not finding a suitable pattern I decided to challenge my brain and make my own pattern (cheated a bit by using a knitted coat as a template to figure out the sizing and shaping).

Once I had the math figured out the rest was a breeze.     The panels quickly started taking shape:


granny square jacket

The front and back panels were joined - then the sleeves:


granny square jacket

Next the hoodie was joined to the neckline and a few rows of edging done:


granny square jacket

View of the back


granny square jacket

Added a few more rows of edging, worked in what felt like a million threads, added some buttons and fastening detail, gave it a wash and tumble dry, and WOOOOHOOO!!!


granny square jacket

I am busy finishing up a few details for the pattern, which I will post sometime tomorrow!!

Edit:    The pattern can be found HERE

4 comments:

  1. I love granny squares and your jacket is amazing x

    ReplyDelete
  2. A gorgeous piece; like you I create from seeing other pieces and getting ideas or out of my head, seldom following any published patterns. I use them for inspiration but not for any final product.

    This jacket is really beautiful and so well constructed. An heirloom piece for generations. Did you put a label somewhere? That's the only thing other than WOW !~! that springs to mind when I see this picture. The colors play so joyfully.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Mother used to do this kind of granny square construction for me over 40 years ago.... makes me so nostalgic! Thank you for taking us along on your creation travels and giving us such wonderful patterns to make our own treasures! This jacket is truly beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete